The Town has contracted with LDa Architecture & Interiors, LLP to prepare a report on the initial feasibility of constructing housing on three Town-owned parcels. This study is funded by a state budget earmark of $200,000 to investigate the feasibility of entering into a public-private partnership with a developer to build much-needed housing, including affordable housing, while also maintaining public parking.
Lots being explored
173 Bedford Street
The Lexington Police Department temporarily occupies 173 Bedford Street, while the new Police Headquarters is being built on Mass. Ave. Once the new Police Headquarters opens in 2024, the Police Department will move out of 173 Bedford Street, and multiple Lexington departments will need that building as swing space through 2031.
Depot Square Parking Lot
The Depot lot was the railyard for the Lexington and West Concord Railroad. The Town acquired the land in 1960. The Depot lot abuts both the 1850 Depot building, owned by the Lexington Historical Society, and the Douglas House, a National Register-listed building formerly owned by MH Merriam & Co.
Edison Way Parking Lot
This municipal parking lot abuts the Minuteman Bikeway and the rear of Lexington Center businesses.
The outcome of this study is the beginning of the investigation and will not yield a particular development proposal. Any action to seek a development partner is likely to be approximately 5-8 years away and would include community input and action from elected officials. Any action to enter a partnership for future development of Town-owned land would require votes by Town Meeting. Any recommendation for the municipal parking lots would also maintain customer parking for Lexington Center businesses.
The study is expected to take nine months to complete.